Sunday 29 September 2013

Bourke Street Bakery, Surry Hills

Heading home from Three Blue Ducks, we drove past Bourke St in Surry Hills and decided to make a pit stop to check out Bourke Street Bakery.

I had planned that when I finally went to Bourke Street Bakery, I’d be purchasing their famous sausage rolls. But seeing as we had just had breakfast, I opted for something sweet. Boyfriend also has a sweet tooth, so thought I’d get something to take home for him.

Walking up, the windows are full of delicious looking tarts and fresh loaves of carb-a-liciousness. All the tables outside were full and so was inside. Though they seemed to be pumping through the orders pretty quick.




Looking at the cabinet inside, I ended up deciding on a slice of the carrot cake and a chocolate mousse and raspberry tart. Breaky Buddy went the chocolate mousse and raspberry tart but also went the strawberry meringue tart.




$5 seemed to be the going rate for all sweet treats in the cabinet.

They also had a fridge full of fresh juices and milks I think it was, to purchase. Breaky Buddy also bought an orange juice.

I didn’t eat these till later in the afternoon. It was SO hot on Saturday. We had the aircon pumping in the car, but I don’t think this stopped our tarts from melting a little in the heat. I put them in the fridge for a while, but I couldn’t wait too long to eat them.

Chocolate mousse and raspberry tart was first to go. The mousse was so soft, I think this definitely had melted. I might need to purchase myself another one to compare..
Chocolate and raspberry is always a winning combo! Mousse was rich, I think I may have preferred just a little more raspberry to cut through the richness of the chocolate a little more.

Carrot cake was left in the fridge till dessert time that night. Big chunks of nuts, (having a mind blank.. think walnuts!), good, thick layer of cream cheese frosting through the middle. I think I preferred this to the usual thick layer on top of the cake.

I caught up with Breaky Buddy the next day and she said her tarts were a little on the melted side too. She said the same as me for the chocolate mousse and said the strawberry meringue tart didn’t have the strongest flavours.

Going to go savoury next time I think! 








No comments:

Post a Comment